e-MDs Solution Series Reviews

e-MDs Solution Series

Electronic health records and practice management software

2.5/5 (28 reviews)

Reviewed on 2/25/2013
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I operate a solo practice general surgery office with one surgeon and two employees in a small town in north central Mississippi. I have been using e-MDs Solution Series since 2001 when I completed my active duty service obligation in the US Army. Software has come a long way in that time frame. My server is local in my office, not off-site. I provide my own IT support as there is no reliable support of sufficient calibre in town to do so. I occasionally use outside internet based support when I need OS/Active Directory/DNS/etc... type support.

Upon leaving the US Army, I realized that electronic records were up and coming as the best means for documentation. I had no prior EMR experience, other than the CHCS system that was then in use in the DOD.

I have been diligent in keeping my system up to date with the latest version of e-MDs. I use iPad nMotion application for documentation of notes for patients seen out of office. as well as reviewing records/documents from prior visits. I use iPhone Rounds application to document billable procedures that I perform outside of my office. Both apps can be used to scribe electronically when needed. The iPhone app comes in handy after hours to document phone conversations with patients immediatly after the call has ended. In the office, I use a Windows 7 Pro tablet to document my notes with the main Solution Series applications.

Implementation initially was in 2001. I attended a two day training in Austin, TX where I learned both the charting and billing side of the software (Remember I was just in the US Army and had no billing experience, minimal coding experience). I hired a woman who had some billing experience from prior Family Medicine practice she had worked in. I taught her the Billing software mechanics. She taught me the coding/billing insurance processes. We were up and running in days and never looked back. I closed that initial practice and upon moving to my current location. I was able to set up the computer system, restore the database, and initially train two persons to use the software in the performance of their duties. I have had a few billing clerks over the last 10 years, and I and the outgoing clerk were able to train the incoming individual without difficulty. I actually can perform all the billing functions as needed when my clerk is absent (invoice generation, claim batch submission, posting of payments from insurance and patients, transfer of balances, statement creation, etc...)

The charting software is currently very customizable to anyone's practice. As a general surgeon, my charting needs are somewhat different from a primary care practice needs. The ability to create/edit templates to document the different sections of the note, makes note creation very easy. By having complete templates, I auto-prompt myself or remind myself to ask questions that I might have forgotten to ask otherwise.

Customer support has always been a strongpoint of the e-MDs company. I 'auto-triage' my support. Things that I need an answer to yesterday, are answered yesterday. Things that can wait, are submitted via the support forum and are answered in an appropriate amount of time. I also look for the answers to my questions prior to submitting the question.

Benefits are hard to quantify in terms of dollars and cents. I was able to successfully attest to meaningful use both in 2011 and 2012 by using the system. I don't spend rent money floor space for a chart room. I don't pay my staff to go find and retrieve physical medical records to bring to me for review/comment/entry, and then refile them. Paper work is not lost once entered into the chart.

Translate with Google

Professional complete non boiler plate notes, most in seconds

Reviewed on 6/5/2010

This is my 2nd EMR/PM. Expect to invest time and $.

The previous reviewers are not wrong about this software, it does require many clicks to do anything, but it will function differently in different hands. I like having the option of modifying every piece of data in my note, through structured drop down menus. Others prefer to push every patient into a 1 click boilerplate MS word style template. Structured data will be required for HITECH. But eMDs does allow you to make 1 click templates with the structured data. Even then you can change any piece by clicking it right in the note.
PM component is very efficient compared to my prior (Acrendo's) software

I don't see how you could have better charting, If you dictated a note in the detail of this EMR note you would spend 2x as much time. But that won't happen out of the box. The first year will require many nights or weekends of template modifications to speed up your workflow.

Pros

PM component Cut my billing time down 70% with AR improvement of 50% within a few months(over my prior EMR/PM system)

Very versatile product

Some English Natural language capability.

Fairly smooth click to click. Things might take many clicks but they pop up quickly and smoothly while charting

My notes look professional and thorough and take seconds for 99212 and <5 minutes for a 99203 (un-templated CC/HPI). ~15 seconds for a 99203 templated and uncomplicated condition

Easily enter diagnosis and treatment plan in a few seconds then go back later and add details to note. But diagnosis and charges are captured within 30 seconds easily, despite the multiple clicks needed as mentioned by other reviewers.

Everything is done within the note so as you write an Rx, give written recs and handouts, your note shows you gave it to them. You can even send different documents to different printers if needed, all as you sign your note

Cons

When everything can become structured data, setup can take time--many months, maybe even a year but there is enough premade data to keep the development process minimally painful.

No spell check in drop down menus to prevent foolish errors

Jack of all trades master of none, until you develop your system to your liking.

Crashes (but Minimal if you stop the use of Micorwave in the office while charting wireless-Not kidding)

My implementation went badly, review your insurance and fee structure completely before billing!!!

There is an odd quirk in the system intended to add versatility that can cause problems if you change your CPTs or add modifiers. This sometimes sets the fee to $0 if you click yes on the popup question do want to change the fee? Always say No!!!

It isn't free!!

Very good billing software

Reviewed on 2/6/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I've used several Practice Management systems in the last 10 years and E-mds is the one I recommend to inquiring practices because of it's comprehensiveness and ease of use.

Pros

E-Mds is the most user friendly Practice Management software I've ever used. On the posting tab, it's so easy to see an overview of the account and each individual invoice without having to navigate to different pages. The reports are pretty good, as well, but the crystal reports can be a little hard to maneuver, especially if you are working in a billing service database.

Cons

The collections module is my least favorite thing about E-mds. It only has the option for invoice based collections and some of our practices are specialists who see patients frequently. The lists can get pretty long.
Customer support is not the best I've ever dealt with either. I think they are getting better at response time, but the answers to my "can we do this" questions are usually "no".

Adminstrator for Internal Medicine Who used e-MDs

Reviewed on 4/21/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The system was a mediocre system. It does what's needed; however, administrative reports seem to be the best aspect of the EMR and do supersede other systems I've worked with.

Pros

This product has a very robust reporting system. The dates and data are able to be adjusted which makes mining for data so much easier. This system has a really good user conference every year in which I would recommend sending someone from each department to learn. e-MD's stays very up to date on quality metrics and programs.

Cons

The company itself does not provide customer service and are EXTREMELY hard to get in touch with if you have a concern. e-MD's uses a third party for customer support and they typically did a pretty good job with helping us to manage the system. Templates are EXTREMELY advanced and hard to create. The scheduling system seemed antiquated as well. The system is also very expensive.

7.0/10
Translate with Google

Excellent, comfort and speed of technology extends to the doctor's office.

Reviewed on 4/7/2018

The benefits are multiple, allows to program patients, equipment and personnel which can be a complex task, which makes a big difference in patient satisfaction. Likewise, you can have full control of EHR directly from the office or hosted in the cloud eMDs, the series of solutions works as a doctor thinks, and among other things, the Solution Series section is also known to be the leading system in capturing accurate clinical and billing data that supports the ability to make detailed quality reports and generate accurate claims.

Pros

I like the most is that it improves the patients' experience with your practice, gives them the confidence that the practice enabled with technology can provide fast, efficient, accurate and compassionate attention. The management technology of medical practice improves relations with the patient, instead of moving away from them. I also like that Solution Series clinical solutions are designed by practicing physicians who recognize that the software must be fast, customizable and intuitive at the point of care.

Cons

I like the least is that the form of relationship of the doctor with his patient is not predicted by the software and many of them, we must use technology but with caution.

Translate with Google

Please don't choose E-mds as your EHR system!

Reviewed on 1/21/2015

Their customer service is horrible. E-mds requires customers to put in a "support ticket" and the average turn around time for "support" is weeks or months before you hear back. Example: We put in a ticket for our P.A. to be able to send prescriptions electronically. Our Doctors and management staff had to call weekly to try and get an answer. After the ticket had been "assigned" to a technician the problem remained for another month and a half until a technician FINALLY reached out to our office. This is not the first time we have ran into lengthy waiting periods! We decided at that point the only solution to the problem was to switch EHR systems. We then contacted E-mds on the 'support' line regarding exporting our data and was immediately told that we would need to put a ticket in for our QUESTION per representative Robert. I'm sure he could tell that we were very frustrated and needed a quick answer to a simple question. He said, "Im sorry, let me see if can get an answer to your question." then placed me on hold for 26 minutes. I was told, "Let me get you over to Chris who can assist you with that!". Once Chris answered, after another 30 minute hold, he stated that he wouldn't be the one I would need to speak with. He placed me on a brief hold then stated I would need to speak with someone in IT Support. I was then transferred to Barbara who had no idea why I had been transferred to her and why I was calling. Here we go again! I had to explain why I was calling and what I had just been through in the last 50 minutes. After that was out in the open she told me I would need to put in a ticket. Irate, I hung up the phone and put in a ticket on their support website. I called back to the main line where I was greeted by Robert, again, who told me to send an email to [email protected] with the name of our practice, what software we were currently using, and would receive an answer in the next 24 hours. Did that ever happen? NO! My original ticket was put in on 01/09/15 (which has been assigned to a tech) and another ticket was put in 01/16/15 (which has been assigned to a tech) and have yet to hear anything back. We have been with e-mds the last 4 years and hopefully this is the LAST year!!!! (if we can EVER get an answer how to export our data)

EMD's

Reviewed on 8/15/2018

Pros

The patient information was easy to access. It was compatible with Phreesia

Cons

The charting was so many clicks for the doctors

3.0/10

too complicated

Reviewed on 8/22/2009

Do not purchase this system if you are not in the medical field.

Pros

Alot of fancy features and built in wording to make documentation quicker.

Cons

The systemis sold as a "For All-Be All" and its not. The system is great for medical practices. However, being a mental health company the system is very difficult to function by a nonmedical person. Too many clicks to get to where you want to go when it comes to customizing your own data. The representative was thoroughly trained in the system. However, when it came time for us to use it was too much and the company return policy is a trap. The company has a week-long training. We purchased the software but had to wait over a month to get in the training class. While in Austin, we verbally explained that it was not what we thought it was and too difficult for our staff. Then I requested a refund, which was denied because it was past the time frame. Keep in mind we did not even get in a training class til over a month later, which meant that we were out of thousands of dollars by this time.

Rating only

Reviewed on 12/4/2017
Review Source

Bad and getting worse

Reviewed on 7/31/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Don't buy this software. It is nothing but frustration. I'm currently transitioning to another EHR.

Pros

I've been using EMD for about 6 yrs. It was not so bad in 2012. The best thing about EMD is that I wont have to use it after I'm done getting set up with another company's EHR.

Cons

They refuse to fix any of the issues. The program randomly removes the medication from the active med. list. Sometimes meds cannot be printed and if controlled can't be sent electronically either. The IT "support" will often lie to you when calling about an issue. Every update causes the program to crash.

My Review!

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 11/28/2018

Overall, I enjoyed using e-MDs in the past.

Pros

e-MDs is an awesome software that I used in the medical field. It is pretty self-explanatory and easy to use.

Cons

We often dealt with having to restart the software or shut it down completely. I am not sure why, but it happened way too often and sometimes you would lose your work if it froze on you.

7.0/10
Translate with Google

We have a three provider group with over ten years of experience with Emds. They are always behind on update (ie still have not deployed a clean ICD10). They nickle and dime everything even then it takes months to get anything done.

Reviewed on 5/20/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

At one time it was a C+ EMR, however over time it slower transformed into a super D- electronic solution.

Pros

The chart has grown on me like a wart on my nose.

Cons

They really don't care about this product. It shows in the patchy software and costumer care. They are like the harvest transplant team taking one organ at a time until they get to they heart. I guess that makes our office brain dead.

Translate with Google

Very poor responses from customer service

Reviewed on 10/4/2014

On the surface, E-MDs is setup to work great and has a lot of great features. Once you buy in, it's terrible. We have been with them for 7 months and still are not functioning properly. If you need meaningful use, forget E-Mds. When you put a ticket in, well, don't waste your time. We have the cloud based and it has been a nightmare. What was suppose to cost us under $5000 to start up has cost in access of $20,000 and we still have features that are not working. I would suggest another system all together.

Response from e-MDs

Thank you for your continued patience as we work with your clinic on the issues and challenges you are experiencing in your first months using Solution Series. Transitioning to a new EHR and a new hosting provider can be a long and sometimes daunting process especially as you are seeing patients. As we work with you through the issues, our hope is that you will begin to reap the benefits of using Solution Series. We will continue to work with you to ensure your success.

Translate with Google

Medisoft just got bought out by EMD

Reviewed on 12/5/2017

Avoid like the plague

Pros

I have not been able to send secondary claims for over a month... and EMD's are of no help! I will have to print the claims and submit them manually

practice manager

Reviewed on 1/4/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

there were pros 10 years ago as one of the first EMRs, now they are behind the ball.

Cons

Stay away. There are much better systems available than this one. Customer service is horrible can never get a hold of anyone

Cost me over $50,000 in Medicare Penalties

Reviewed on 11/24/2016
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

EMD's has not updated their software to make them compliant with PQRS data retrieval required by Medicare. We have had EMD's since 2009. PQRS and Meaningful Use are Medicare requirements. EMD's has not created an update that meets these requirements. Our practice has lost over $50,000 because of this. We were able to salvage an additional $75,000 loss by hand counting and collecting some data required by PQRS. This came at a significant employee cost. Other EMR systems such as Modernizing Medicine are up to date with their ability to gather the data required by PQRS and I strongly recommend that you look at that product or others.

Pros

Good accounting module

Cons

No support for upcoming Medicare requirements on data collection --- PQRS and Meaningful Use.

0.0/10

No support

Reviewed on 7/23/2016
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The patient portal worked for a year and everyone benefitted. Too bad it has been useless for 2 years.

Cons

The list is endless. You have to build everything on your own. Very cumbersome, labor and click intensive. Feels like a bottomless pit: keep feeding data (by hand in it) and not get any benefit out.
Absolutely no support. Etc.

Dr. David M Andres

Reviewed on 2/4/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The system has great potential but the customer service is unbelievably poor and frustrating. As a physician, if I treat my clients as badly as this company has treated my company over the years, I would expect to either have no clients or many lawsuits.
I paid for a complete system and the the support. I get a partial system and spotty support. In fact for the past 5 years I have paid for a second IT service to help with the system.

Pros

If you have any computer knowledge then you can change templates easily

Cons

The company charges huge amounts for everything and provides minimal support even when you buy the premium support

2.0/10
Translate with Google

Customer Service is practically non existent !!!!!

Reviewed on 3/3/2015

We have been using E-MDs for 8 years and I can tell you that the software is capable, but the customer service needed to keep the software running properly is terrible. It wasn't like this until about 2 years ago when things seemingly began to slide down hill. Our IT service is constantly fighting to get answers and resolutions to the "tickets" customer service creates, which are then "closed" as resolved once they email back a response to our inquiry. Really!!!! The issue doesn't get resolved but they close the case anyway, and you will spend a lot of time harassing customer service to reopen the ticket and find a resolution. Also E-MDs has a nasty habit of rushing updates to market without proofing the software to make sure it works. We will typically hang on till the bitter end before we upgrade if the software is functional. TOTAL BUYERS REMORSE. At present our lab interface update will not install and we have been waiting 2 weeks to get this fixed.

Translate with Google

MD working w this system 6 years / tried Athena and went back to Emd. Portal needs improvement

Reviewed on 9/22/2016

Like system and will continue to use it . Not had major problems with system or support. Hope they will update with new requirments of meaningful use / payment for performance etc. JL

Pros

can do notes day before I see my regular patients/

Cons

reminder system not ideal pt needs cxr 3 mo example

Sorely disappointed

Reviewed on 3/4/2010

Wait or look elsewhere.

Pros

Will do a lot of things. It is indeed feature rich.

Cons

Its not very easy to do anything. First, its buggy. It crashes a lot. We had astounding implementation problems that were related to the software on our networks. It takes a million clicks to do anything. It destroyed patient care. It doubled my work load.

WORST service anywhere

Reviewed on 10/29/2015

I have worked with a few EMR's in my line of work and never has customer service or software updates been such an issue as this company. I have seen 3 different companies have major problems with updates when they install them. Updating E-MDS software is something you should never do unless you absolutely need something in it. There is a 10% chance it will install correctly and a 90% chance that things will quit working once the update is installed. Completely working systems will be brought down by their updates. Their programmers don't understand that they are coding software for people to install and use that aren't also sql coders at least.

Very disappointing

Reviewed on 8/19/2014

Tech support is by far the weak link. Version updates are released with known major problems. I have used this system for 4 years and now I can't put up with e-MDS any longer. I would not recommend this emr company...the ship is going down.

Translate with Google

Customer Service is disastrous!!!!!!

Reviewed on 1/25/2015

I have been using e-MDs for about 8 years and customer service is very poor in Puerto Rico and in the states. The software itself is quite good and simple to use but when you need service, is a Mount Everest climb to get.

Great

Reviewed on 7/3/2014

Used it steadily for over 6 years. I think it's a great product and did everything I needed. LOTS of functionality and extremely user friendly. Very customizable to your needs.