Microsoft Azure Reviews

Microsoft Azure

Public cloud computing platform

4.5/5 (528 reviews)
Translate with Google

There are some awesome backup solutions out there, I'm talking about products born in virtualization

Reviewed on 3/13/2018

Pros

1966/5000
There are some impressive backup solutions out there, I'm talking about products born in virtualization ... and not those designed for tape backup 20 years ago that some of you buy because that's what they've always bought. Some of the excellent products are even advertised on this site. They have their own unique approaches and points of sale, which I should applaud, and I encourage you to visit their sites and try their free trial versions. Then you have options, and that's a very good thing.

We use a lot of DPM and store our long term in Azure, as described by Aiden. I want to share some important obstacles that we have come across so you can benefit from our experiences.
1) We had a DPM protection group with 76 protected Hyper-V virtual machines. This protection group was programmed to send recovery points to Azure all at once. 76 was too much and the OBEngine.exe service (Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent) was blocked every night, so I had to restart the OBEngine service and manually restart these online backups every day. By splitting the protection group into several smaller protection groups (each protecting about 20 Hyper-V servers instead of 76) and scheduling them to send recovery points to Azure at different times of the night, the problem was solved. I do not think this is a bandwidth problem (since we have a lot) but that the OBEngine service was being overwhelmed. The errors I found in DPM every morning clearly indicated that the OBEngine

Cons

It lacks options for life cycle management.
- Some of the functions only work in the classic portal.

The reliability of the services depends on the technological and financial capacity of the providers of services in the cloud. The information of the company must go through different nodes to reach its destination, each of them (and its channels) are a source of insecurity. The centralization of the applications and the storage of the data originates an interdependence of the service providers.

It is useful if you are not familiar with Azure to take an online training course that will definitely take you a long way to master it and increase your confidence in the product. It tends to use resources and when the VM goes down it is slow and freezes.

the dashboard design is confusing AF, it is difficult to find things. You pay the support, or send them a tweet and cross your fingers. Billing is confusing, especially at the beginning, and it is impossible to estimate costs without seeing the use of an entire application / site.

infrastructure as a service allows me to free up time and resources until then to maintain its own infrastructure, security measures are beyond the reach of most companies, security regulations give customers the confidence that their data will be totally protected.

The support was incomplete (my experience of 1 in 18 months was very disappointing). In summary, regardless of what the system tells you, if you do not buy a help plan, it is SOL

Translate with Google

A powerful platform with tons of options but a confusing interface and unclear pricing

Reviewed on 8/15/2017

Pros

There are a ton of amazing points about Azure. The ease of which you can spool up new websites, databases, or even entire virtual machines is incredible. You can do in minutes what would take you hours to do on site. Setting up communication between resources is also quite easy.

Inside each installed item (website, VM, SQL Server, etc.), there will be options that you can configure. These options make it very easy to quickly configure your resources in a way that is best. Not sure what you should do for setup? No problem. There are usually only a few pages of options, so it is easy enough to click through each page and read them (and their associated help). That allows for a much better experience for even novice Azure users.

Cons

I like Azure a lot, but there are definitely some big areas for improvement. The biggest, I think, is a very clear and transparent pricing system. It is very difficult to figure out what a certain addition will do to impact your monthly pricing. You have to guess a bit at what you think will happen and where you think you are at overall to figure out if you can afford to add another resource. That's not the way it should be.

The interface leave a lot to be desired as well. They just updated it, but it actually added to the confusion. There are so many boxes and flyouts to navigate, it gets hard to figure out what resources you are already using. I would like to see a very clear "this is what you have" system, especially when new resources can use the existing resources. For example, you can set up a VM to host your websites. Cool. However, that VM is a special one and it is hard to find to configure. Also, it is hard to figure out if it would be ok to add another website to it or not (is it pegged out or is there some wiggle room to add more load?).

Like I said, I like Azure. There is just room to make it better.

Translate with Google

Not a great microsoft fan, happy customer regardless

Reviewed on 11/22/2017

Azure has helped us sustain operations and scale over the years in multiple projects. It is a great offering that can help any business from startup to large enterprises build and grow together.

Pros

I have been using Microsoft Azure for the past 5+ years. I was never a big Microsoft fan, having dropped Windows for Linux/Mac for more than 15 years already. At first I was sceptical as to how can a company with its own technologies thrive in a space dominated by Unix based systems.
I was pleasantly surprised to discover that in terms of services offered by Azure you miss very few as compared to Amazon cloud and gain much compared to Google's cloud offering.
Command line tools support is on par with what an experienced developer would expect, the line of offering for different services is amazing and ever expanding and the customer support is there when you need it.
All in all I would recommend Azure services to any developer that is looking to start developing in the cloud or even needs to develop in multiple clouds for high availability purposes.

Cons

The one thing that Microsoft can improve on Azure is transparency in pricing. There are times when I'm trying to evaluate cost between different clouds and it's more complex to figure out how much our usage would cost on Azure as opposed to AWS.

Translate with Google

MS Azure go to the cloud.

Reviewed on 2/14/2018

We're using cloud IaaS solution by having infrastructure in the cloud.
Us don't need to keep our own hardware and upgrade it.
We pay only for resource We use.

Pros

MS Azure provides multiple services for any area of your business. You can chose degree of how you will control of your infrastructure by choosing from IaaS, Paas, SaaS.
In recent time most popular Azure's set of tools for business - OMS, which includes such services like Log Analytics for monitoring and analyzing of your infrastructure, Automation Service to automate your routine tasks,
Azure backup to do backups in preferred places, Azure site recovery - for fast recovery your infrastructure in another pace, Security service to help you identify, assess, and mitigate security risks to your infrastructure.
You can use mentioned above services to implement as hybrid scenarios or completely migrate to the cloud.
The main advantage of the MS Azure You don't need to keep your own hardware and upgrade it and depending on your requirements you can choose your degree of involvement by using from IaaS, Paas, SaaS.
In general MS Azure helps to save your money and time.

Cons

Azure features and services get outdated so fast and it is hard to be in trend, something that you know today can be changed tomorrow and looks and managed in different way.
Need to remember so many settings and they can be located very deep in some services.

Translate with Google

Great cloud computing platform with a wide variety of options to fit very broad needs

Reviewed on 8/3/2018

The product has been fantastic, the customer service a little underwhelming but not enough for us to ditch the product. It has become ingrained into our workflow and we love using it.

Pros

Azure has a wide offering when it comes to how a dev team would like to customize their product and push computing up into the cloud. It takes the burden off of the dev to have to manage their IT infrastructure. We previously contracted out our IT needs to another company who would often take anywhere between 3-6 months to get a server set up for us. With Azure we can do it in one day. I don't know why it took us so long to switch.

We are currently using Azure Functions (Great product), Azure Service Bus, Azure Web Apps, and Azure Logic Apps. All of these products have been working well to fit our needs and have fit great with our team as we can keep the code locally in source control. We've also been able to configure our Functions and Logic Apps in a CD/CI pipeline to speed up development and releases.

Cons

Azure is amazing and has a wide variety but boy is there a learning curve. There is so much to offer and so much to do that the beginning user tends to feel VERY overwhelmed. I wish Microsoft did a better job at bringing people in gradually and had support that felt easy to interact with. This definitely is the biggest pitfall.

Translate with Google

Tough Competitor to AWS and Google Cloud - Best in terms of Cost, APIs and easy to use !

Reviewed on 10/21/2018

Pros

* Provides many machine learning / AI API specific services like voice recognition, voice identification, etc which helps to develop or incorporate AI features in our application easily without the need for a dedicated team having expertise in these machine learning areas.
* Value for money - Get more resources at same cost compared to alternatives.
* Transparent pricing which helps to predict the monthly costs.
* Very easy to set up new servers and enable scalability to accommodate huge influx of traffic.
* Dedicated support available and many sessions are conducted to educate the users.
* A must cloud service provided if you want windows based machines as these guys are expert in giving a well optimized windows machine.
* Generous free credits available for first time users.

Cons

* The console/dashboard is little cluttered and can be overwhelming for some users.
* System admins who are used to work in other platforms will take some time to adjust to Azure environment.
* Too many choices available to achieve the same purpose which can can cause confusion ( Paradox of choices)

Amazing Cloud Service

Reviewed on 11/15/2018

Azure is amazing. We were planning to migrate to them, but it was too costly. Every year we do the numbers and see if it's cost effective, so far not yet, but in time it will be and this is where my cloud service will go.
For now, I will just keep the service at a minimum until we are ready for the transition.

Pros

I am excited on how great Azure is becoming and cannot wait to see more. Love your network migrator software and cannot wait to see more from you guys in the future.

Cons

Your pricing is rediculous, I don't understand why their pricing is so out of this world, which I know in time pricing will go down, but for small businesses it's just not yet worth it.

Your company has already the dominant market in OS, why not make Azure special and reduce pricing and storage and swallow up the world as we know it so that Microsoft will be live forever.

I understand that you are in a new market and are catching up to AWS, but your never going to beat them unless you strategize your game plan and give user's packages that make sense and are cost effective. The cloud is coming, it's all on who does it first and how they do it.

Translate with Google

Stable, Solid platform, with some Support woes (if you need it).

Reviewed on 2/28/2018

Pros

Extremely solid platform, very easy to get started, very easy to manage, billing is a breeze to understand and monitor. (Yeah, it's Microsoft)

Cons

Support was sketchy (My 1 experience in 18 months needing it was a disappointing one). In brief, regardless of what the system tells you, if you don't purchase a support plan you're SOL. During the recent Intel software glitch one of our Azure VMs was affected. Opened a case, top priority level, was given a 2 hour promise of contact, watched patiently on the portal as the clock went from 2h to 1h to 30 minutes, to PENDING.... 2 days and 6 hours later (on a Saturday) someone called me to say my ticket was being assigned. Assigned? Another few hours later a call from a technician. By then, the problem had already been resolved on my end (simple VM redeploy using RSV) but I let it play out. They provided the fix, issue was resolved on the original VM. Ok. I then engaged my Account Manager (yes, you get one even on a Pay-As-You-Go service plan) and expressed my concerns about what happened. This is when I was told I didn't have a "Support Plan". My response was pretty simple "Then the ticket system should tell/warn/note that, and not tell you you'll get a response in 2 hours."

Translate with Google

I am impressed by the functionality of Azure and for creating VM it's quite easy and saves time

Reviewed on 3/7/2018

It's really fast, you can go to having an SQL server in 30 minutes after knowing how to create your servers. It is very helpful in controlling loads. Microsft have outdone themselves in making simple the process of creating and managing cloud assets in Azure. There are multiple ways of doing things also, choosing your way. If you want to create or manage resources through the portal, PowerShell, the .NET API, REST, etc. it is really up to you. The functionality of Azure and creating VM is quite easy and saves time. The dashboards are really helpful, and I think it's easy for beginners to start using.

Pros

Microsft have outdone themselves in making simple the process of creating and managing cloud assets in Azure. There are multiple ways of doing things also, choosing your way. If you want to create or manage resources through the portal, PowerShell, the .NET API, REST, etc. it is really up to you. The functionality of Azure and creating VM is quite easy and saves time. The dashboards are really helpful, and I think its easy for beginners to start using.

Cons

It is helpful if you are not familiar with Azure to do some online training course which will definitely take you a long way in mastering it and build your confidence in the product. It tends to use of resources and it times the VM shut down is slow and freezes.

Translate with Google

Azure is an amazing cloud computing service for those seeking to build, test and deploy applications

Reviewed on 7/19/2018

Cloud, AI and virtualization support for applications that I develop or play around with.

Pros

I attended a Microsoft seminar encouraging university students to use Azure services and Microsoft API's to develop cutting edge applications for researches and start ups, which provide a strong foundation to get started. We have access to virtual machine, cloud servers, AI services, storage and databases and so on. I started initially with the 30 day trial, which gave me 200USD which I could use in store and a year of more free services on the Microsoft cloud. The first thing I did was try and make a chatbot with the AI (i have experience coding), and Azure made it super intuitive and easy. Then I made an IOT application, and the cloud infrastructure of Azure is also suitable for deployment on edge devices, so that's great. The server costs were really low, and it was covered by the credits provided during the trial phase so I did not have to pay any more. Making android applications with cross-platform compatibility is also possible with no hassle. The virtualization support also extends to containers, with Azures support for Kubernetes. The machine learning studio useful for data analysis is also very easy to work with, and you can easily get started with minimal knowledge (more guides available on website), and you can use it for facial recognition, emotion and voice along with other options . Overall, this is a fantastic service, I will definitely be paying for it once all my free services are done!

Cons

Azure is great, I have no complaints as a regular user, and I hope more people enjoy using it as I do.

Translate with Google

We've used Azure for our web application hosting needs. It's full-featured and fairly easy to use.

Reviewed on 3/15/2018

Pros

There are tons of features available for hosting websites, web applications, APIs, etc. If you are hosting a .NET application, you can take advantage of their App Services option to abstract away the work involved with managing a virtual machine. But if you need a VM you can have one of those as well. I also enjoy the ability to easily view the metrics of your application/site, and instantly scale resources as required. Some of the higher-scale packages even offer the ability to have the load balancing and resource allocation done automatically.

Cons

Azure is expensive. You get a good bit for your money but boy do you pay for it. Scaling up into higher resource levels often involves doubling or tripling your monthly costs, even if you're not getting a corresponding percentage increase in your performance. Also, and maybe this is just a web apps thing, but there's not a dedicated IP filtering option built in for the web apps. You need to purchase an additional package or manage all of that through your site's web.config. That's a little annoying.

Translate with Google

We use this service to handle critical applications in our company.

Reviewed on 11/23/2017

I have an application that is always available. The services respond very fast.

Pros

I like its stability. In the years that we have been using we have not seen a flaw in our application because the service has stopped. This service offers a good amount of environments and the apps are compatible with Windows and work quite well. I like reports of application failures, because they come very close to the moment they occur. I like the services offered in AD.

Cons

I think it's expensive. I notice that the services in other platforms that are not microsoft, are limited. I do not like that the service logs do not report in detail what happens when something fails, they are not integrated with the applications. Online help services are slow. When you select a service the details of them are not very clear, for example they are very basic and let the user suppose some things that should be explicitly explained.

6.0/10

Been a user for 5+ years

Reviewed on 8/20/2018

As a development software company, I just can't imagine ourselves w/o Azure. They provide all the tools I need with an amazing quick access. The price is scalable so our costs are always under control.

Pros

The old interface was the main reason as to why I started on Azure rather an AWS. I always though the Amazon interface was too complicated for such a simple task. Azure made it look so much simpler. The newer UI was buggy and slow but they've managed to fix it and it now provides the right information in the right amount of clicks. I was also called by 'Customer success' team and they gave me useful information on features I was not using yet. All in all a great product. Cant go wrong choosing Azure.

Cons

At the beginning I really disliked the new UI. Its been a year (maybe more) since that happened so I kinda got used to it but still, not the best in the market. It could be improved by a huge margin.

Translate with Google

Overall the best cloud platform

Reviewed on 8/29/2018

Pros

Azure is comprehensive and holistic - you don't have to micromanage resources like you do in Google, Amazon, IBM or Heroku.
The web interface is a strength to me where others have complained that it is difficult, I find it fairly easy to learn and understand. By comparison - Amazon's console is pretty hard to navigate through and multi-task.
APIs and tools are robust and comprehensive. Literally anything can be scripted or automated without needing to do a lot of setup on your local machine.
Azure is the most cross-platform compatible and inclusive of any cloud provider - what I mean by that is that you can provision manage and automate just about any technology platform in Azure *from* any platform.

Cons

As others have noted, the billing can be difficult to measure and predict. You just kind of have to try it and see.

Good platform but expensive

Reviewed on 11/27/2018

since I'm the Azure cloud administration in my job, I had to read a lot to manage it, now that I understand the Azure concept, is very complete, as I said, "play with expensive toys"

Pros

you have everything there, if you want Virtual machines, you have them there, if you want to publish your page as a service Azure can do it.
Azure is a really complete platform where you can find what you need as developer or as a company that manage software projects.

Cons

Is very expensive, is true that you have everything there but is really expensive, I mean, if you are a startup you can't afford it.

Is kind of complicated to manage, even the official azure documentation is complicated to understand so if you want to administrate it in an eficient way, you MUST take a certification or something like that.

in conclusion, if you have the opportunity to use it is like "play with expensive toys"

Translate with Google

A top notch ecosystem and which is transforming everyday

Reviewed on 7/10/2018

Security, reliability and cost saving

Pros

Microsoft azure provides an efficient alternative to AWS ecosystem. With large presence of existing Microsoft product across the board helped us integrating Azure to the overall ecosystem. Azure provides equivalent competitive alternatives which made us more capable in our development path. Though there are other competitors but I think in terms of breadth of service Azure is growing the fastest.Azure is a heaven for loyal MS developers. Deploying, computing with .net technologies so easy that you will not feel any difference. Publishing application with Microsoft shop is unbelievably simple and worry free.If you think for an Hybrid IS environment Azure can give you a lot of more option.

Cons

Still there is lot of scope of improvement for open source technologies. Some better service offering in identity management space. Support can be really painful but much better than older Microsoft technologies.

Translate with Google

A familiar user interface and support for modern cloud technologies

Reviewed on 8/11/2018

Pros

We try to use only the most advanced software, which helps us to optimize the company's work and improve interaction with customers. Azure fully applies to such programs, because it is a reliable modern service with a familiar interface and the ability to store all information in the cloud. We constantly work with virtual machines, we deal with machine learning issues, we implement our own applications based on Azure. So I can say that this software is very convenient, functional and at the same time reliable.

Cons

The specification says that Azure from Microsoft is a cross platform system, but in fact it works well only with the Windows operating system. Our servers often work under Linux and in this case there are often conflicts and misunderstandings.

Translate with Google

Azure Backup adds great complexity to usually simple tasks

Reviewed on 10/8/2018

For us, as Service Providers, is a very useful tool when the customer is adequate, for the specific use cases. It is automatic, we recomend Azure Backup when there's System Center already working, or is something the customer previously asked us for. Managing backup jobs follows a different logic than when using other tools but it is still fairly forward.
Be careful to do a proper TCO analysis because with this technology it is easy to miscalculate and fall short.

Pros

If you have already an Azure Powered infraestructure, or at least an advanced Microsoft on-premise deployment with System Center, then you'll get tons of immediate value from using Azure Backup. You'll get full VM Backup and most important, app-level backup.
It's very likely you won't need an additional backup software as long as you already have the Microsoft practice and know-how.

Cons

If you are not a current Microsoft powered organization, the learning curve to adopt Azure Backup might be extremely large. And also, the additional cost if you want to use the full power of the technology can be important, mostly because of the need of a System Center deployment, and the acquisition of knowledge and support contracts.
There are so many technologies out there which would be better options.
We'd like there to be an integration between Azure Backup and Azure Site Recovery when the target is the same, an Azure repository. There's not, so you need to separate jobs which casues double resources consumption (CPU, RAM, and most important, bandwidth).

Translate with Google

We use it everyday to get more advantages ,Cloud base Data Warehose ,Web Development and much more

Reviewed on 11/22/2018

Overall It is the Best One Industri-Level and Also It has ability to work with anywherewith Remote Acces,And Also If you are going to work with machine learning processess Asure is the best choise for that ,highly Recomened it use Web development Coloud based and more.

Pros

Asure gives the simplicity of creating things,testing and management of Cloud based.It is very easy to to use and offers Web applications ,Machine learning things API so on,
we can able to increase single customer site to more than 10 customers without changing our coades its a grate oppertunity working with Asure,and also Asure gives best buiness solutins for us.
And also mostly when we were working with Asp.net application it very easy to work with Asure and Asure has ability to work with much accurate and more Relaible.

Cons

Some times Cost will be high , with respect similer servicese it will be quit expensive ,but Asure is the Best software platform to get expected outputs

We're In The Cloud

Reviewed on 9/10/2018

We were struggling to maintain all of our company data with on-prem storage. Being able to scale out to Azure storage (with a StorSimple appliance) was a huge game-changer for us. We now have plenty of space to grow, and are spending much less on traditional storage.

Pros

While we were hesitant to jump on the "cloud" bandwagon, we've found Azure to be a stable & reliable platform for us to get our feet wet. We've taken advantage of cloud storage via the StorSimple appliance, and are running a Linux web server VM which hosts our company website. There are plenty of other services to explore, and our experience so far gives us confidence to move more services to the cloud.

Cons

The pricing structures are confusing, and its difficult to know ahead of time how much a service will cost once implemented.

Modestly Experience

Reviewed on 3/6/2018

Azure provides a large range of cloud based servers from dedicated services to cloud visualized networks.

Pros

We have been using Microsoft's cloud environment Azure for almost 4 years now. Azure provides a stable place where you can host all your cloud services. Our company primarily use its web hosting and mobile app services for creating of Web Services and Cordova applications. The Azure Portal ( what you see when you first log in) is very customization and provides links to your projects and services. There servers and very fast and we have no complaints even when the code we run is sometimes not optimized for speed.

Their pricing is very agreeable and Azure works well with other Microsoft products. It makes development quite a breeze. It also works with third party services like Github to add addition features. The sheer scope and size of services available is mind boggling.

Cons

Azure you get what you pay for and while at the moment it meets our needs it can see to ramp up in price as you add more features and services.

Also for some working with Microsoft might be a deal breaker

The future of hosting

Reviewed on 6/10/2018

If you are not using cloud infrastructure you need to, this is the new frontier, actually not even the frontier anymore this is the new normal. The reliability, and adaptability, is incredible.

Pros

Microsoft is diving into the concept of distributed computing here and its going to be huge. Right now we use the Azure platform for many of our customers, this allows us to scale their web apps to their needs in time. The platform is robust and generally reliable. The support from Microsoft is amazing.

Cons

This is software in flux, living. There are changes seemingly every month, some major and many minor, but over time moving in a good direction. If you are coming from a background of deploying, managing, and hosting web sites on physical Windows boxes this will be an adjustment.

Four Letter Acronyms Aplenty (FLAA's) - SaaS \ PaaS \ IaaS - Azure has them all

Reviewed on 6/26/2018

Spinning up quickly development systems.
Hosting highly available platforms that would cost £1000's to implement in a datacentre but still retain control of access and data residency.

Pros

The availability, speed of delivery and ability to scale the services are great. We can provision services, within minutes \ hours rather than days or weeks. Test out new functionality on development servers \ apps that would require sign off for expensive hardware \ software, with minimal cost and impact to the business.

Cons

The wealth of functions, services, apps make it hard to identify what the most effective way of resourcing a solution. The Azure Marketplace tries to overcome with pre-packaged solutions, but then you have competing providers.

Translate with Google

Our go-to cloud environment for customer cloud services

Reviewed on 1/23/2018

Pros

Azure allows us to provide a complete customer solution in the cloud, providing servers, databases, authentication and web services/sites. The newer administration user interface is simple to use, yet allows control over most of your services, and powershell can be used to control them completely.
We host several customer environments in the Azure cloud, along with our own SaaS product, and we have never had a problem with it. Monitoring is also comprehensive, allowing manual or automatic availability provisioning to be easy.

Cons

Although Azure can be a reasonably priced option, it can get expensive quickly. Ensure that you double check pricing before provisioning your services.

Some business tasks are well resolved in MS Azure

Reviewed on 9/16/2018

Pros

We have a fairly large IT-company, and therefore for effective work and interaction it is necessary to use modern software. One of the options for such programs was MS Azure. This set of services, stored in the cloud, really helped us. The interface of the application is convenient, the functionality is well thought out, and from the moment of using the application in our company we noticed that the development time of our software was reduced by our programmers, there became less routine work that distracted from important cases. And besides, with the help of Azure we found several high-class specialists who help us remotely.

Cons

On the one hand, software tariffs seem to be overstated, but Microsoft is meeting its customers and providing an opportunity to pay only for the really used amount of services and cloud space.