Podio Reviews

Podio

The flexible way to manage projects with clients

4.3/5 (205 reviews)

High Customization Project Management

Reviewed on 7/25/2016
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The level of customization is amazing, and really makes Podio an incredibly versatile tool. Even with the mid-level plus pricing plan, we've utilized custom workspaces for a large variety of use cases throughout our company. The team at Podio also releases updates fairly often, which is great to see. Almost every update has added value to how we use the application.

It's obvious that the Podio team has put a lot of work into what they have released thus far. The quality is great, and I can't think of anything that doesn't work properly or that feels messy. I'm confident that new features they release in the future will be just as well polished.

Cons

The number one limitation to Podio is the lackluster permission structure. On one hand, it has really forced us to create truly collaborative and transparent workspaces. However, it has also made it /impossible/ to use Podio for certain more sensitive applications. It is also incredibly annoying that there isn't an overall admin group for the total organization. We have multiple admins for our Podio organization (who help create and maintain workspaces), and each of us have to be added to every workspace as an admin in order to maintain the system. This means that our feeds get spammed with activity from every workspace, making it pretty useless for our own needs. It also bloats some of our workspaces, and makes it tricky to maintain stuff.

In the plus price level, reports are kind of a joke. I believe they get a lot better in the higher plans, but plus level reports are almost useless.

Translate with Google

Project management with all the bells and whistles.

Reviewed on 4/16/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Podio is powerful, indeed. I ranked it a bit lower than most as my focus has always been around small businesses. And Podio might simply be too much for that sector. But it does offer an impressive array of features that perhaps small businesses with lots of development background need. It seems to wrap too many features into one product and many organizations simply do not work this way. But the concept of keeping all this functionality in one single place does make it appealing. Yet, there is much to be desired for regarding features in each category. Project Management, for example. It has features that are very common among competitors, but lacks features like milestones, issue tracking, defects, testing, epic and story hierarchies, etc. It simply does not provide the power one would expect from a solid project management functionality. Instead of ramping up these features, others are added, such as a CRM and financial features, etc. I would not entirely dismiss Podio, as it might be exactly what your organization's structure needs. Perhaps a quick test drive would do. I found it cumbersome for my small business, especially since I was already managing my clients using another CRM and my financials were being managed by another online application... keeping them all isolated and visible only to the required personnel.

Pros

Podio is feature rich and more aligned with larger companies with design and development teams. It offers a wide range of views to fit any and all your needs. Create and manage workspaces with ease. Podio is much more than just a project management tool. It offers the ability to track leads and clients with default or customizeable templates to display their details. Manage projects, portfolios and much more. With a focus on the creative (design) and development, Podio offers much more than one can ask for. It even offers an impressive library of APIs for customization and integrations. Track tasks with incredible details including time. Podio even gives you a place to track expenses. If your organization is looking for a product that keeps everything in one place, Podio might provide this for you.

Cons

Despite the rave reviews on the Pros, I believe that Podio is just too much for the average project management role. It feels as though it is trying to combine the features of a CRM, Financial System and Project Management product all in one place. Most organizations are simply not structured in a way that all these features should reside in one system. Perhaps it will work for some, which is why Podio does have a strong hold in the industry.

Translate with Google

Double-edged tool. Lots of flexibility and features, but easy to lose your direction and focus.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 8/15/2017

Reliable communication with the team through the chat function. Good personal tas management and also knowledge management. Even though we stored or files in a cloud service, we 'indexed' and sorted our knowledge through Podio.

Pros

This app felt like a blank canvas. You can create a lot of workspaces, each with differentes apps that have different functionality, such as "Expenses" and "People". For each app, you can create items, that you can call whatever you like, e.g. "Payment" and "Person", respectively. Within them, you have many field options and you can customize quite a bit, even automatically creating tasks. I also appreciated that the calendar, your tasks and your contacts have their separated site. Each works automatically, adding events that you interacted with automatically to your calendar, the same with tasks that were delegated to you. In summary of the good stuff, lots of possibilites. Also, formulars where quite helpful.

Cons

As much as it has pros, there is for me and the organization where we used it, one big Con, that goes throughout the whole app: too much flexibility and little restraint/focus. The tool is a blank canvas, and I am sure you can create a good workflow for different needs. The problem is, that you (at least we did) need a single person that first, understands how it all works second, takes the time to create each app and the item-configurations (altough there is a marketplace where you can use other people's templates) and third, explain it to everybody else. The problem comes, when you realize there was an unknown feature or a simpler way of doing things. There is so much that is possible that you might end up complicating your workflow to much.

7.0/10
Translate with Google

Love this tool, fully customizable!

Reviewed on 1/30/2018

I'm using the free version, so for me it's a free project management tool that can be customized to track any type of project or process. I can assign and schedule tasks for any user in the workspace.

Pros

It can do anything! There are pre-developed apps and packages of apps that you can add to your workspace to get started quickly. Those modules can be modified to meet your needs. OR, you can create your own apps to serve your own purposes. I've created my own apps for a variety of workspaces and have found it can do almost anything! So far we've used it for lead development, website development/QA, order tracking, and customer feedback handling. Love that we can assigne and schedule tasks for any user in the workspace. We're a small team, so the free version has been able to meet our needs as well.

Cons

It can be time consuming to figure out how build your own applications. The pre-built apps are great to start with, but then you have to visualize how to modify them to meet you unique needs. Not bad, just a learning curve. Also, the per user per month expenses can add up quickly if you need the more advanced features.

Good process flow tool

Reviewed on 10/16/2018

We are getting deals and making money, and we are relying on Podio as our current database. I do believe there is a better system developed for real estate investors that would work better for us and support our follow up process more efficiently and effectively, but for a generic database or project management sytem, Podio is very functional.

Pros

I like the customizability and usefulness of this platform. The app-based system allows anyone to use in different ways depending on the different process flows. I like the task functionality and integration with other apps. We use another party to add backend automation which has been helpful for tagging and tracking leads.

Cons

The system goes down fairly often and prevents leads from flowing successfully into our database. I'm not sure if this is due to glitches in our automations or a site-wide problem. The apps may pull data from other apps, but the information is separate. As a real estate investor, I see this as a con because if a lead information is transferred from one status to another (into another app), the information is created again rather than updated in a separate location. If a change is made in one app, it isn't reflected in the other. There may be workflows that could help with this for the field data, but not for notes left of the activity.

6.0/10
Translate with Google

This software has helped our teams to easily interact and work together.

Reviewed on 8/19/2018
Review Source

Pros

The cloud-based application lets the organizations to communicate within the company or with another company for their requirements. It has helped us to collaboratively work using a single platform by sharing data such as business processes and project management reports, and through real time communication. Delegating and tracking the tasks has never been so easy! Using this software has improved our productivity and time management. We could build and maintain good relationships with the customer. The best thing about this software is that, it had given us the ability to control who can access the workspace environment, thus adding to the security feature. Since the files can be shared in one common place, multiple email threads and redundancy could be avoided.

Cons

This utility does not provide phone support, which is a huge drawback. The users are expected to always work from their desktop computer environment. The developers of this application are not always ready to change the application features of the tool. The option of printing out the shared pdf, directly, is not present in the current version of the application. The user interface of this application also needs to be updated, as some find it cumbersome to use. If you are checking out for some automation in workflows, you would be disappointed as there are none!

7.0/10

Great Resource for Businesses

Reviewed on 11/13/2018

Podio is our main project management source and we love it! It allows us to assign project managers to projects, tag team members that need the information, others to add information they have gathered, copy emails directly to Podio, assign tasks, and so much more. I would highly recommend Podio for any type of business and think it is a great tool that is easy to use.

Pros

What I like most about Podio is the organization of project management. It helps to keep track of current information, copying emails directly to Podio, tagging team members, and organizing the project with information that is useful in my business. It has been such a great management tool for our small business and relaying information that is easily searchable when the project information is needed quickly!

Cons

What I like least about this software is that is can get confusing in the beginning and overwhelming of features. It does take some time to understand the functions of Podio and all that it can do. Once learned it is user friendly, but it is hard to get started!

Translate with Google

Amazing Customizable CRM with lots of hidden power using add ons.

Reviewed on 2/12/2018

Pros

I really like the fact that Podio offers a customizable CRM solution that can be configured for almost any kind of business. The free product tier is critical to test feasibility of concepts and to help determine if the software will support your needs. The GlobiFlow additional service is incredibly powerful to automate particular process flow within Podio and externally. Using GlobiFlow, you can link to outside services and trigger actions based on events in the system. Also critical to my business is the developer API, which allows me to connect my own value added software to orchestrate other business related tasks not supported by GlobiFlow.

Cons

The user interface is in need of updating. Some widgets like scroll bars are cumbersome to use with tables due to a scroll bar within scroll bar effect that makes the page and table scroll in a strange way. Also, some basic capabilities of certain form widgets are missing like default values setting.

Podio. Great Tool That Not Enough People Know About

Reviewed on 1/31/2017

At our local Red Cross we needed a simple way to keep track of volunteer info and first aid training participants. It used to be a very manual process and being a small branch I couldn't convince admin to spring for an expensive CRM.

My search landed me on the Podio website and I gave it a try. What an amazing tool it proved to be. It took a few weeks to get the hang of it (mainly because I had no previous experience with CRMs) but it has now become a central part of operations. We now can't imagine life without it.

Now that we have it set up just the way we want it we can now easily figure out how many volunteers have been trained in not just First Aid but all of the other courses we offer.

We have an easy way to check the number of events each volunteer has attended over any given period.

Using webforms we have a really simple way for clients to requests First Aid volunteers at their events which automatically notifies the people we've specified so following up is now much easier.

It has an iPhone app so even on the go staff always have access to data as long as there is an internet connection.

I could go on and on but I think I would say my favourite feature is the customizability. It doesn't do everything (nothing does) but even with a free account you can get so much done it's simply mind blowing. Looking forward to the improvements (which have been never ending since we signed up).

I now use it at my job to keep track of staff info and again it has become an invaluable tool significantly speeding up my workflow.

Pros

Price (free option is great)
Very customisable

Cons

Would love the ability to print pdf reports instead of just exporting Excel files

Transformative Software

Reviewed on 11/22/2016

Podio has enabled me to completely change the way several companies share specific tasks. What's exciting? Two things. First - get rid of those awful little spreadsheets and put the data where the team can all access it concurrently. Second - wrap around it a neat package of task management, status updates, messaging, voting, and chat. And more. Voila. We have an internet for collaboration that converts office comma from the old "Outlook model" to the new, more open, "Facebook model".
The way in which users (permitted users) can edit the system while it is in use - could not be easier. I have been astonished to see non-IT professionals take up serious development and love it.
There's much more to say. Let's just say there is hidden depth. It looks so simple and it is, but one is always finding new gems that offer flexibility- such as webforms, or embedded JavaScript options! I think I could build a career in the Podio platform.

Pros

Flexibility. Ease of use.

Cons

Check the pricing model, but even that has been great for my clients who are registered charities.

Translate with Google

Worth the money you pay!

Reviewed on 6/25/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Podio has been a huge help for the project management purposes as the platform offers highly customizable and flexible settings to adapt even the internal user interface to the requirements/characteristics of the project. What's more, the functionality and the adaption to the external apps as well as the useful add-ons give the platform more functionality that saves a lot of time and effort searching for those in another system.
For the smaller organizations, you can start with free plan/trial, however, if you want to take it seriously and benefit fully, I'd advise going for the paid versions.

Cons

There are few cons of the system. Sometimes it seems to be lagging and it's hard to determine whether it's due to the load it puts on the browser and the computer lags or the system as well as it's cloud-based.
What's more, for the new users, due to extended functionalities after some time of customization, it's hard to be easily acquired.

Translate with Google

Podio app space for beginners

Reviewed on 10/1/2018

I use Podio as the main frame for our internal communications software. We are branching out to 'share' items to both suppliers and clients that we mark apps and workspaces specifically without proprietary information. This way we can all communicate in a network without causing too much of an overlap in other softwares.

Pros

Javascript based easy calculations fields.
Relationship fields allow easy access to 'like' items that don't follow the same workflow.
Globiflow integrations opens up 'get' 'post' and'if this then that' features that cut down on tedious work.
Podio Super menu chrome extension is extremely helpful for entities with a lot of workspaces/apps.

Cons

Without extension you cannot mark several items in table format. You have to go into each individual item separately (or export to excel update and them import) which is a massive pain.

Translate with Google

I am an early adopter, and love love Podio's clean-canvas approach to app building!

Reviewed on 9/19/2017

Pros

- That it is clean-canvas and you can set up basically any object, process, structure or workflow you need
- The recent calculation field javascript functions are a life-saver!
- I have been using Podio since its very early days (back when you could only add, subtract or multiple two fields at a time). It still had so much value for our process as a services company that wants to track what our consultants are billing.
- Task management settings are excellent (even if i don't use it as much as i should, adding, assigning and tracking tasks is a breeze)

Cons

- Being an app intended geeks, it feels like it would be hard to set up initially
- Has limited app permissions (for e.g. field-based permissions for different user types is needed for any level of process above basic.

Translate with Google

I love Podio and have been using it as my main CRM and business tracking service for roughly 2 years

Reviewed on 1/18/2018

I use it every day to improve my business organization. It keeps tracks of my clients, important events, money, expenses, quarterly reports, and anything else. I love the customization of the apps, which allows me to create whatever I want, from CRM to tracking.

Pros

I love the option to customize all of my apps in Podio. I am a professional magician and use it to keep track of proposals for shows sent out, as well as their progresses. Moreover, I use it to keep track of expenses, invoices, and whether or not I've distributed my money to my business accounts. I also use it to keep track of clients, which makes it very easy to quickly look up information. I love that I can link apps, such as my show proposals and client apps, which makes everything flawless. Plus, the tasks option allows me to create reminders for myself without cluttering my own personal to-do list. Plus... it's free!!

Translate with Google

Completely customizable way to store and share info across multiple office locations.

Reviewed on 1/19/2018

Pros

Our company was able to build our database from the ground up, which was very helpful for our specialized company who didn't fit a pre-determined mold when it came to the storing and sharing of info. The tasks section is extremely helpful to remind you or any member of your team about any items to complete both within Podio and externally. I loved the ease of the chat and group chat features, and the ability to send gifs in chat brought some fun and lightness to my day!

Cons

Learning curve can be long, especially depending on how your administrator has chosen to set up Podio before you begin using it. Different people seem to gravitate towards different ways of organizing information, so this needs to be taken into account for complex records and your employees' different learning styles.

5.0/10

Simply Incredible DIY Database/CRM SaaS Software

Reviewed on 2/6/2018

It powers our entire business and allows us to create any app, workflow or logic to handle customers, vendors, etc.

Pros

You can create practically any app, workflow, form and logic imaginable for your business. The power sitting behind this software is simply incredible.

Cons

If you have outside users interfacing in your Workspaces, you cannot control the UI experience for them or brand the app towards your company. Also, if someone posts a negative comment, it will exist in your app forever because you can't delete other people's comments. Finally, if you're using private embed-protected Vimeo videos, they will not work on the Podio Mobile app.

Translate with Google

Customer Support and Billing Horrible!

Reviewed on 9/1/2016

Podio customer service and billing is horrible! I am so angry that I upgraded to the $24 per month plan and was charged $244.56! The invoice and payment receipt came in at the same time without giving any notice that the $24 plan that I signed up for was now up to over $200.
The customer chat said I could request a phone call to get the issue resolved, however, no one ever called. The email resolution department was NO help! All they could say was it would be corrected on the next billing cycle. I need it corrected Now! Had I wanted to spend that much per month I would have signed up for the 5 person $120 per month plan.
No phone support to assist customers and extremely disappointing customer service.

Pros

I like the program but not for $250 per month when I am the only person in my organization

Cons

NO PHONE SUPPORT! Although they tell you that you may request phone contact if you have a billing problem. There is No phone support.

0.0/10
Translate with Google

The reliable way to lead your business

Reviewed on 4/23/2018
Review Source

Pros

The successful project contains a lot of different things that make it successful. First of all you are always need to be well aware of everything that is going on in your project, also, you must be able to easily communicate with every person of your team, in addition to this you definitely need great analytical part that can show your progress and so on, and all of these things you get with Podio. The possibility to organize meetings maybe not the most crucial but greatly simplifies life.

Cons

From time to time we need to make some changes in our personal system, and when we need it that would be great to have a person who may promptly help us with this, without writing to the support team and wait for their response.

Translate with Google

Collaboration in an easy and flexible way

Reviewed on 7/23/2018

A significant drop in internal mail-communication. Liquidation of all kinds of extra software tools. All is now in one powerfull search available in a few clicks.

Pros

You can let your end-users build their own workflows, apps, ... The core is an online database you create all tables yourself and it bings together the structured and unstructured info in one view.

Cons

Some functionality is kept to a minimum and so some simple options are missing but the core model is strong and that is the most important. Some personalisations on the presentation would be useful.

Response from Podio

Thank you for the kind review and useful feedback! /Team Podio - Citrix

Not the BEST But Very Affordable

Reviewed on 6/9/2018

Real time tracking of sales and easy to calculate commissions

Pros

You can customize pretty much any field imaginable to build anything you want and need. It doesn't require you to fit everything into their box or what they say you need. Integrated with Zapier it is very powerful.

Cons

You can't search by email address (there are errors with any email that has more than 1 period which is almost a deal breaker. Reports can't be accessed in the app which is one of my primary uses. I have a workaround scripted in my phone, but I feel like you shouldn't have to be an expert to find what your sales are.

One of our favourites

Reviewed on 2/15/2018

It's highly flexible and easy to use, saves us time.

Pros

* Podio is such a flexible solution. It's the only system I'd ever come across that let you design your system around your business, instead of them forcing your business to fit their system.
* Really easy to use
* Can track/store multiple types of data so is flexible to be used in various areas of the business.

Cons

* Importing bulk changes isn't as easy as it could be
* Advanced workflows require a higher package, so you're limited with the lower end packages in terms of automation, without using a third party service like Zapier.

Universal Database Tool

Reviewed on 3/25/2018
Review Source

Pros

First time, it seems that the platform is very complicated it takes a long time to learn how to use it, but in the end it's worth spending time because it becomes very natural software for managing your team. Take a little time to properly configure projects. It's worth it. This program is an excellent tool for working with your team in almost everything. With such a program, it is easy to store data, monitor activities or even create surveys. With this platform, you can create different applications, workflow, form and logic that you can only imagine for your business. By sharing applications in this program, I can monitor both the individual actions that need to be taken to advance the project, and the closer stages that we need to do to complete the project on time. It is very simple to use this program in small groups to assign tasks to colleagues, which allows us to work together and clearly communicate our expectations about each other.

Cons

Sometimes it's not easy to understand some of the functions of this platform. For beginners, it may seem very difficult. Saving documents in the database is slow, and if there are a lot of them, copying can take several minutes.

Podio Is Powering Progress At Our Firm

Reviewed on 7/25/2016
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The ease and ability to customize and develop this platform is what makes this product superior to all of the others that we've tried. We currently have 5-6 entirely different use cases for Podio in our company from tracking heavy equipment to talent development to the RSVP management system for our company parties and picnics.
It really is ridiculously simple to create a workspace with workflows and reporting views. It is also extremely helpful that the cost of the licensing is so low and the terms of the licensing are flexible. I can't say that I've had to deal with Podio as a vendor other than the initial set-up because the product has run so smoothly.

Cons

I wish that the reporting was a bit more robust. In the past, our team has wanted to do some projection reporting and Podio just doesn't seem equipped to do what we are looking for.

Highly flexible CRM

Reviewed on 8/25/2018

Pros

Podio is ideal for small to medium sized businesses. It's highly flexible, letting you adjust the CRM to suit your business and language. It's really easy to use, so internal adoption is easy and you can use it for managing so much more than just CRM. It's easy to create new apps and templates and you can modify these on the fly.

Cons

Any advanced features require extensions and/or the premium version to have access to GlobiFlow (which is awesome, but the costs add up for small businesses).
Support can be a little slow at times.

The entry level CMS

Reviewed on 10/9/2018

Optimal if your company is on a budget but wants to have an easy to use and rich software with many many features. Good starting point for any business, we used it for years without problem before switching to InfusionSoft

Pros

Podio is one of the best CMS around. it is basically cost free and allows entire team to manage complex dataset of costumers infos. Podio is highly customizable if you know how to write basic JS and that is perfect for nerds.

Cons

It is hard to manage large dataset. Batch edit is not that simple. If you need a more advanced solution it is not the best option