Mailgun Reviews

Mailgun

Transactional email API service for developers

4.6/5 (46 reviews)
Translate with Google

Almost a necessity with server configs and email filters!

Reviewed on 6/7/2018

Mailgun ensures that emails sent from your site make it the destination email inbox and not the spam folder. Easy to use, free for the first 10,000 and has mail logs. All around, a great product!

Pros

Mailgun ensures that emails from your website actually make it to their destination. With their free tier covering the first 10,000 emails, it's a free solution to a prominent issue: emails getting stuck in email filters or not making it at all. Mailgun is easy to sign up for and easy to integrate into your site, especially if you are using WordPress. Absolutely love the mail logs too - that's come in quite handy on many an occasion.

Cons

As a web developer, I understand the need and value of Mailgun. It can be difficult for new users to understand this though.

Translate with Google

One of the best SMTP/API mail integration solutions

Reviewed on 6/14/2018

10,000 free emails a month, easy to use API, easy to integrate and send emails reliably.

Pros

Mailgun offers 10,000 free emails a month, which is much higher than a lot of the competing services in this category.
The web interface is clean and provides you with the information you need right on the landing page.
Integrates easy with many services and plugins exist for many platforms (eg Wordpress).
API is well documented.

Cons

While the Free tier of 10,000 emails a month is class leading, when you begin entering the paid tiers there are much cheaper alternatives available.
Email validation service is pricey for what it is.

Reliable

Reviewed on 1/10/2018

Pros

I'm using mailgun for transnational emails and I'm very happy I never encountered any problem, the interface is very good and simple, I like the fact we can setup multiple domains in the same account. All in all it's the best!

Cons

Mailgun didn't notify me when my account was suspended for a verification and in that time I lost many emails that may have resulted in contracts if they were delivered! You need to check you account regularly to make sure everything is OK!

Translate with Google

Need email notification support? This is the one

Reviewed on 11/4/2018

Is easy to use, has great support and customer care is THE option for email notifications in your App/WebApp.

Pros

Easy to use! Supports integration with a lot of languages including PHP and Rails, we were able to use it in no time, They provide you with free mails monthly for when your startup is starting and is blazing fast, much better than connecting the app to a conventional email.

Cons

Nothing at all, hoping they can implement PWA notifications soon.

Handle all your mailing tasks

Reviewed on 8/18/2018

We have created an automated mailing system, which uses mail gun apis to send email reports.

Pros

Mailgun is very good for automating your mailing system. Your system can send email to any one just by hitting the mail gun API. Mail Gun Clients are availale for all technology platforms.

Cons

There are few bugs like if target email is disabled, and re-enabled, you wont be able to send email via mail-gun.

Translate with Google

One of the best email marketing solutions price wise

Reviewed on 1/18/2018

We send email marketing to our user base through Mailgun, monitor results, and save money when compared to other solutions that are more manual..

Pros

We use Mailgun to send to large email marketing lists because it's more affordable than many alternatives. The UX is pretty solid and the reporting tools are nice.

Cons

Sometimes there are things in the report that don't make sense like an open rate dropping considerably one day and then back to normal. We can't really tell what caused that. Also the open rate is lower than other tools that are not marketing based. So perhaps they're tagged as marketing server. Not sure there's any way around that and they take email server health seriously

Translate with Google

good for Transactional email and more

Reviewed on 3/12/2018

Pros

Mailgun's system is set up so well, and their SDKs for different languages are so complete, that these days I add a domain, add a Ruby gem, and my new Rails project has transnational email ready to go, highly deliverable, and I just don't worry about it after that. It just works.

Decent Transactional Email Service with Great Dashboard and Logs

Reviewed on 4/19/2018

Pros

Easy to set up; attractive log and web dashboard UI that makes it easy to track and identify bounces and errors

Cons

Cost isn't as attractive as some other similar alternatives (i.e. SparkPost); customer support is sometimes hit and miss on the level of helpfulness/knowledgeably they provide

Best SMTP API available

Reviewed on 6/6/2018

Pros

Mail-gun lets you handle all you send any number of email using a simple rest API, who intgration is available in almost the leading technologies.Let Developers to focus to business logic, as it handles email part itself.

Cons

Never found any con till day, but once we had an issue, one of e-mail address which was deactivated for a small span of time, it stopped working with mail gun. that might be some kind of bug may be.

Translate with Google

Excellent mail log makes tracking mail activity simple

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 9/24/2018

We run software that includes both manually sent as well as automated email. Inevitably, users will either not receive or claim that they did not receive an email. This quickly helps alleviate those issues and show proof of delivery with timestamp.

Pros

I don't have a ton to benchmark Mailgun against but it's made my job much easier when needing to track our outgoing email. At it's simplest, I can quickly search for failed email messages or confirm that email was sent and received along with the content of the email.

Cons

There may be a way to filter or create saved filters that I'm not aware of, but I've been restricted to searching either by an email address or by an event type (ie Accepted, Delivered, Rejected, etc.) I do sometimes have to search for a bit to find what I'm looking for.

My transactional mail provider

Reviewed on 5/19/2018
Review Source

Pros

I have searched a cheap, but reliable transactional mail provider for my various products, finally found it, and use it with delight.

Cons

I would be fond of a service if I can make responsive newsletters from templates with this provider.

E-Mail API for your project

Reviewed on 9/18/2018

Pros

Once you have connected your domain with mailgun, you will get mailgun secret key using which all your project and applications can send emails. It makes work a lot simpler and easy. Its client tools are available in all the leading technology platforms and integration is very easy.

Cons

Sometimes there can be some delay in receiving emails due to heavy loads on mailgun servers.

Translate with Google

Great Email Service for Your Application Backend!

Reviewed on 8/11/2017

Our entire backend runs all of its email communications through that service, its super reliable.

Pros

- easy to install and set up
- great reliability
- nice dashboard where you can check the details of every sent email
- large free email volume plan!

Cons

Would be nice if it offered pre-designed email templates (created on their website) with CSS etc. which you could then call via the API with some custom values.

Great solution for Churches and Non-Profits

Reviewed on 12/21/2017

Pros

Easy to set up. Easy to use. Our church was using another solution but they got rid of their free/non-profit tier. Mailgun has a generous free tier that has served our church of 700 well.

Cons

Right now it seems that we have issues with AT&T/SBCGlobal.net e-mail addresses rejecting a lot of our e-mails. This has been problematic at times but not a huge issue.

Translate with Google

Reliable way to send email with a great and well documented API

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 8/7/2018

Pros

I've worked for various software companies who ran their own mail servers, which were great for tracking and integration, but a real headache to maintain. Mailgun has fulfilled all my email requirements and more - providing a reliable way to send and track emails, and a good API that support integration with many clients and languages. I've used it for simple personal projects and large-scale customer deployments, and it works brilliantly throughout.

Cons

The main limitation is that there is a single API key per account. If this API key is compromised you have to change it on all services, so I often end up having to manage multiple mailgun accounts as a workaround.

Translate with Google

COnnected to our ticketing system

Reviewed on 9/10/2018

Mailgun enabled us to send thousands of confirmation emails every day to our customers for a good price.

Pros

Worked perfectly well with Google Suite email server.

Cons

Configuration required an adept tech guy

Handle all your mailing tasks

Reviewed on 8/21/2018

Pros

Mailgun lets you create an API, which you can use to send email to your client. Its client libraries are available in almost all the leading technologies which makes work much more simpler. Very Efficient for automatic mailing.

Cons

Once in a while there system becomes slow, which leads to delayed email delivery.

Sad to see it going

Reviewed on 4/16/2018
Review Source

Pros

Reliable email automation service.

Easy to see reports and track email delivery for emails coming from our website.

Was quite easy to set up and configure.

Cons

Service is going to end in the near future as they are shutting down the software. We are forced to find a new product that will work for us.

Translate with Google

The best mail sending service with free of charge plan.

Reviewed on 4/8/2018

Best choice if you need to send mails over external SMTP services.

Pros

Very easy to use, settings and tutorials how to are very intuitive.
Fast delivering not only transactional emails.
SMTP + API

Cons

Up to 5 domains only in a free plan (10000 mails per month).
Not so detailed info of mail, when you send it over SMTP.

Translate with Google

The best email processor for developers

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 4/4/2018

Pros

As a developer I often need to add email to my application during the testing phase. Mailgun is my go to provider because of their support at the code level. There are thorough examples for every programming language I've come across, and their SDK's are second to none.

Cons

Their pricing doesn't appear to be as competitive when you want to scale as opposed to other transactional email providers.

Translate with Google

Awesome product, and very easy integration

Reviewed on 12/5/2017

I use MailGun for multiple projects, and all of them work just as they should. So far, regarding services i have no complaints.

Pros

The mail delivery is very good. The process to integrate SMTP APIs is easy, and fast to setup. Good documentation.

Cons

Maybe the pricing can get a bit better, there are companies that provide cheaper and similar services

Pretty solid transactional Email service

Reviewed on 5/11/2018

Powerful API for transactional emails

Pros

They have a powerful API that enables you to send, receive and track email effectively. We used it on a few our core projects and it was great.

Cons

I didn't like the reporting system as you can't have a customized report generated for you. As I would like to see more data on my campaigns.

Great for devs

Reviewed on 11/16/2018

Pros

Love that Mailgun is focused on developers. Free plan is generous and allows you to avoid landing in spam without knowing how to set up a full blown SMTP server

Cons

Support wasn't very helpful when I reached out to get help with my account

Powerful email sending engine

Reviewed on 6/19/2018

We were able to send newsletters to 15 000 addresses without risking to loose our company reputation as an email sender.

Pros

Mailgun is able to deal with thousands of email sending queries with an excellent quality of service. We used this tool to send newsletters automatically generated by a Drupal website, to 14 000 clients for one of our customers. Mailgun can then track mails opened, links clicked, and so on. In the dashboard, you can find a page that displays charts for each newsletter - perfect for the client ! And we pay only for each 1000 mails we send, having the 10 000 first free. An API allows developpers to interact very easily with the Mailgun engine and all of it's features.

Cons

Mailgun admin area could be improved, as the statistics of user link clicks. Maybe one useful feature could be to allow some accounts to only access specific statistics pages, not all of them. But it's a detail, globally this tool is a really good one.

Translate with Google

I view my foray into the capabilities of Mailgun as only just beginning. It is robust and powerful.

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 1/20/2018

I got access to a solid and well maintained platform where I can centrally manage all of my transactional email.

Pros

I found Mailgun when looking for a better transactional solution for a client's WordPress site, and it wasn't long before I was finding new ways to incorporate it into other email flows, such as ownCloud.

Hands down, my favorite feature is the ability to house all of my clients under one interface, without sacrificing granular control or reporting.

The ease of configuring SPF and DKIM is fantastic, and their support team and online documentation have both been a pleasure to work with.